Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The Kelly Kettle is Amazing!

I recently acquired a storm kettle from Kelly Kettles in Ireland. It is an excellent piece, clean in form and beautiful in function, with a sort of steampunk feel to it. Despite its grace, it's a very efficient tool for boiling water out of doors. In this article, I would like to show mine to you, and demonstrate its use.



First, we have the basic components: water, fuel, and the kettle.



Now, a word about the fire. I just grabbed the first bit of scrap I could find, in this case MDF, and a piece of fatwood to light it with. Fatwood is amazing: it takes fire from a match, yet burns with such ferocity that it can ignite even damp wood. Anyway, you can see the fire from the match at the bottom of the photo.



Here, you can see that I've placed the kettle atop the fire pan. The fire quickly grew from this little spark to a miniature furnace in the span of a minute!




Here, although you really can't see it, the water is boiling. It only took a few minutes!



And so, we come at last to the end of our little journey. From cold water to hot cocoa in just a few minutes courtesy of the Kelly Kettle. You can bet that I will be offering my canoe passengers the hot, tasty beverage of their choice, come Summer!

No comments: